- I strive to succeed, but at times I fail.
- I strive again, and again.
- Life is in the striving,
- Not the success or failure.
- Success and failure are moments of pause
- To recollect, celebrate, and to ponder.
- It is during the striving,
- The important events occur in our lives.
- Life is unfair, frustrating and
- Yet can be joyous and triumphant.
- Only with the attempt to accomplish
- Can these be experienced.
- The persistence of attempting to achieve
- Defines “striving.”
- Without a worthwhile goal, life is empty,
- Lonely, and desolate.
- A place to await death, to be dead,
- Among the living.
- I strive to succeed knowing
- There will be failures and successes.
- I strive so when the end of life has come,
- I will reflect, smile, say, “Ah-hh-h-h yes!”
- Turn proudly, head held high and
- Step across the veil to a new life.
Originally written: September 25, 1996
- I was trying to capture a basic truth that working hard towards a goal has the true value. From the effort comes skills, knowledge and experiences that provide future success. I strive so when the end of life comes, I may reflect, smile, and say, “Ah-hh-h-h yes!”